Re: Current state of Foundation finances

On 2014-04-13 01:43, Stormy Peters wrote:
Don't we have reserves though? We should have 6 months of operating
expenses as reserves.

I should leave maybe this to Kat and other board members but I'm recently enough gone that I can answer - the Foundation has adequate reserves for GNOME's ordinary operations but not for OPW, and the program has ramped up really quickly while the Foundation is still very small.

For a rough overview, the 30 participants in the round that just ended required around $170k in expenditures, and that's the smaller of the two rounds per year. The two most recent rounds together should have approached $400k. So OPW only accepts interns with confirmed funding for each intern but if there are delays in getting that funding it adds up to a big burden for the org to bear. As the FAQ states, the board is evaluating various solutions, including raising the admin fee already charged and putting measures in place to assure earlier payments. I think the program should also try to raise its own reserves, though this is very difficult on a short term basis.

GNOME would never have been able to support the program to date without the reserves it already had in place.

karen