Re: Want to review a book about GNOME 3?

    Does a development guide qualify as a manual to you?

I don't know a precise meaning for "development guide".  Is it another
term for a tutorial introduction to using a program?  That is a manual.
There are introductory manuals, and reference manuals.

Every program ought to come with full documentation, both tutorial and
reference.  In GNU we often make one manual do both jobs (see the GNU
Coding Standards, node Documentation), but they can be separate also.
In order for the program to be part of a free operating system such as
GNU, these manuals need to be free.

The tendency of free programs to depend on nonfree manuals is one of
the big problems of the free software community, since the 1980s,
which is why I wrote http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-doc.html.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation