Re: GNOME now

On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 3:15 AM, Stormy Peters <stormy peters gmail com> wrote:

* The desktop market is not growing. We can continue to define ourselves as a desktop but that's not a growing market. I'm not talking about Linux versus Windows, I'm talking about desktop vs mobile. The average computer user in the developing world uses a smartphone for many of the things they would have used a desktop for. And they are buying more and more tablets. In the developing world, many are skipping desktop computers all together, and their first technology experience is with a mobile phone. To continue to make a difference in the world, I think we need to move to mobile. And we need to make that obvious to potential partners. In spite of a lot of work going on in the GNOME mobile/tablet space, right now most people see as a Linux desktop.

To be clear, I think we could continue to deliver a desktop as our solution, but I don't think the "desktop" should be our goal or our market. For example, in a separate thread with Allan Day, he mentioned that GNOME OS would be good for application developers. We could decide to target the application developer market, to provide awesome tools for application developers. Then I think we'd need to look at what tools application developers currently use, what they need, what platforms they are targeting (Android, iPhone, web, desktop), ... Not saying that should be our goal, just wanted to give it as an example.

Stormy