Re: Looking for community managers or enthusiasts!

On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 5:39 AM, Alan Cox <alan lxorguk ukuu org uk> wrote:

> If you've got a fast CPU and reasonable but unusupported graphics
> hardware then it's usable but not great.
>
> No idea what Gnome 3 is like on a Raspberry Pi which would be the most
> useful other guide as its got fairly snappy graphics but naff CPU and
> relatively limited memory (512MB now)

I suggest keeping an eye on the OLPC hardware as a low-end hardware
benchmark for the GNOME desktop.  As for "market share" there are over
2 million XO-1 and XO-1.5 out there and AFAICT the ARM based XO-1.75
is shipping and the touchscreen enabled XO-4 (in may ways similar to
the XO-1.75) is on the way soon (FWIW ,I like the prototype I test
on).

OLPC builds are dual boot in Sugar and GNOME and I would love for
GNOME to consider these users in their decision making.

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XO-1
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XO-1.5
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XO-1.75
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XO-4

Just a thought about a large definable "community segment" where
hardware is tightly defined.

cjl