Re: Looking for community managers or enthusiasts!

On Wed, November 14, 2012 2:28 pm, meg ford wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 1:08 PM, Sriram Ramkrishna
> <sri ramkrishna me>wrote:
>
>> The wrong idea of course is that people think we're just removing
>> features
>> for no apparent reason even though for instance fallback mode was never
>> guarantee.  We need to correct those misconceptions.
>>
>> Having a good relationship with the general public is more important now
>> than it was in the past thanks to social media.  For example, with
>> Ubuntu
>> (who holds the largest share of users right now), GNOME is no longer the
>> default and so it takes a conscious effort to change to GNOME.  If they
>> do
>> the research, I don't want them to see a pile of ridiculous blog
>> postings
>> that aren't challenged by calm and simple rhetoric.
>>
>> Regarding, Emily's post.  You need to look at the overall message there.
>> Not everyone is on the same page, and the fact that we are having this
>> discussion with other people who clearly have the same concerns is
>> indicative that we do have a problem.  If you think there is no problem,
>> we
>> an drop this whole thing.
>>
>> Community enthusiasts won't go out there using the 'royal we' without
>> some
>> training.  This stuff isn't easy, and it is important that our
>> volunteers
>> understand how to engage in both the GNOME community and the community
>> at
>> large.  They will need training on GNOME's vision and purpose.  That
>> means,
>> release team, designers, and relevant parties will need to help these
>> volunteers in understanding it before going out there and speaking in
>> our
>> name.  I'm having Karen be in charge of us.
>>

> I'd like to request that Karen also provide the members of the board with
> the information she shares with the volunteers. It's demoralizing to see
> members of the board arguing about GNOME's vision and purpose. If we are
> going to present a positive image of ourselves to the public, I think we
> need to at least have the board members agreeing on the basic message. I
> hope this doesn't offend anyone; I'm just saying this because, as a member
> of the foundation, I would really appreciate it if the board members could
> present a united front.

Great point, Meg. I think the board should definitely be involved in this
process, as they are our elected representatives. I of course commit to
doing everything I can to help make that happen.

In any event, I agree with you that a coordinated basic message (with
flexibility for individual perspectives) should be of the utmost
importance.

I'm glad we're undertaking this effort - I hope it will help drive us to
be more coordinated all around.

karen