Re: Questions for the board election candidates

On Tue, 2012-05-22 at 10:35 +0200, Dave Neary wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 05/22/2012 09:58 AM, Robert Nordan wrote:
> > 1) "Open Source" or "Free Software"?
> >
> > This is about personal philosophy: Do you prefer the pragmatism of the
> > Open Source Initiative or the political idealism of the Free Software
> > Foundation? (Some of the candidates have already flagged a stance on
> > this.)
>
> Please don't equate Open Source and "pragmatism", and Free Software and
> "idealism". This suggests that Free Software is not also pragmatic, or
> that Open Source developers are not idealists. This is a pet hate of
> mine, and frames anyone who calls themselves a Free software developer
> as not living in the real world. Free Software is all about pragmatic
> idealism - using the system against itself to give users rights we feel
> they should have as software authors.
>
> And, in fact, Open Source is also about pragmatic idealism - using a
> different brand for the same thing to avoid an unfortunate ambiguity
> doesn't change the fact that Open Source developers also care about
> giving users rights they would not otherwise have.
>
> Thanks,
> Dave.

I'm so sorry, I was not intending to imply that one was better than the
other or that they are diametrically opposed. Let me rephrase the
question: "Do you prefer the Open Source Initiative approach to
pragmatic idealism or the Free Software Foundation approach to pragmatic
idealism?"

--
Robert Nordan <rpvn robpvn net>