Re: GNOME Deutchland e.V. [Was: Re: European bank account for donations]

On Fr, 2012-03-09 at 13:30 +0100, Chris Kühl wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 12:27 PM, Dave Neary <dneary free fr> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > GNOME has at least 3 sister organisations, with bank accounts, in the EU: GNOME Hispanic, GNOME-fr and GNOME Deutschland eV.
> >
> > Why not create some kind of official relationship with one or more of them?
> >

> Looking at the GNOME Deutschland e.V. website[1], I wouldn't consider
> it a likely candidate for such a relationship and the writing on that
> page doesn't seem likes it's always in GNOME's best interest. It
> states that the site is run by an individual and has no connection
> with GNOME e.V. Does the GNOME e.V. even exist any longer? There's
> probably a backstory to this I'm not aware of.

There was or is a trend to "hijack" expired German Linux- or
FOSS-related domains, put up some good-looking information and hide some
scam (mostly insurances) links inside them. My old Linux-User-Group
suffered from this as well.