Re: Questions for candidates - board processes & significance

On 05/30/2011 10:11 PM, Dave Neary wrote:
Hi all,

I was away last week travelling, so I'm coming late to the election
campaign. I have almost decided who I would like to vote for, but
there are still a few things which are important to me when
considering a prospective board member.

1. If elected, will you seek a named position
(chairman/treasurer/secretary) on the board? If so, why?

It's the first year I run for the board, so I will not seek a named position until I am more familiar with the board and how it works.

2. Board meetings are minuted, and these minutes are published
regularly. However, the board also increasingly makes decisions on
board-list with the Apache +1/0/-1 convention. Would you support the
minuting of these votes, including recording any -1 votes?

+1
I believe transparency is very important and I do believe we should be accountable for the decisions we take on behalf of the community and that those should be documented.

3. I think financial transparency is important. If you plan on
applying for the treasurer position, what changes (if any) would you
propose for the budgeting process? How often would you publish
financial reports for the foundation? Are you happy with the level of
transparency in the board's finances now?

No I don't plan to apply for the treasurer position.

4. Our relationship with a number of groups has suffered this year -
and one of the lesser known ones (but one I'm involvedd in) is the
Libre Graphics Meeting organisers (a group of people representing a
couple of dozen "free art" projects). Are you aware that the LGM
organisers withdrew all the funds that the GNOME Foundation was
managing for them this year, because they have been unhappy with the
responsiveness and quality of communication with the foundation over
the past 2 - 3 years? Do you have any thoughts on why this particular
relationship degraded? And will you commit to handling or delegating
answers to all time-critical queries which come to the board during
your term?

I was only aware of the GIMP issue last summer and then I didn't hear about it anymore, So I thought it was fixed.

I do understand that it's important to give a response as if not, it obviously has consequences in the long term. I have no problem to commit to handle replies in a timely manner.

5. In general, as a board member communication is vital to keep people
outside the board informed whenever there is a delay or when extra
input is needed on something they're working on. For incumbents, are
you happy with the level of communication & reactivity in the current
board? For new candidates, what would you like to do to ensure that
the communication & reactivity of the board improves in the coming term?

I believe board directors are representatives of the foundation members, they have the right to know what the board knows except when it comes to protecting someone else privacy. On top of publishing minutes, a monthly foundation meeting inviting all the foundation members to clarify points that are not clear. I commit to join the foundation meeting as much as I can to help on this.

Transparency and availability with foundation members and organzations interacting with the foundation should also improve our relationships in general and make people feel that we are a board easy to communicate with.

6. Board members are ambassadors for the foundation. I think it's
important that board members be social, and be nice. Are you nice?

It should be someone else to judge if I am nice or not. Since we met already I believe you got the answer :)

Cheers,
Dave.