Re: Candidacy: Ryan Lortie

On Mon, 2011-05-23 at 11:00 -0400, Ryan Lortie wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-05-23 at 14:59 +0100, Allan Day wrote:
> > * Do you have any concrete ideas of what 'strong and coordinated
> > technical leadership' would involve? It sounds very nice and all, but
> > I'd like to hear some specifics before I cast my vote. ;)
>
> I think it's premature to say "this is the solution" which is why I've
> limited myself to identifying a (perceived) problem.  I am simply
> stating that we should move in a direction of more coordinated technical
> decision-making.
>
> That said, it's true that I've had some ideas of how this *might* look.
>
> The most obvious solution to me is the creation of a technical board,
> directly elected with membership restrictions by affiliation (basically,
> just like the foundation board).

Let me first point out that I think that such a technical board is a
very great idea and that I do believe that we should put it in place as
soon as possible.

Now my question.

How would this technical board be elected? Who will get voting rights?

- Will all foundation members get a single vote?

- Will projects get a vote too? And if so, at which point will a project
  get a vote? As soon as it's part of GNOME's modules? Its external
  dependencies too? Who gets to cast a project's vote (its maintainer?)?

- Will GNOME's (event) sponsors get a vote?

- Will companies involved in GNOME's development get a vote?

Basically the question is: how do we identify the stakeholders and how
do we make sure that all stakeholders are appropriately represented at
this technical board?

I fear that if we don't allow representation of such stakeholders, that
the legitimacy of the technical board wont be strong enough to
technically steer GNOME in such a way that it'll make a real difference.

[cut]

> I did intend to start a discussion.

Good! Thanks a lot Ryan!

Cheers,