Meeting Minutes Published - February 15th, 2011

The meeting minutes for the February 15th GNOME Foundation board
meeting is now published.  Refer here:


Other past board meetings are archived here:


-- text of the latest minutes follows --

Next Meeting

    * March 1st, 2011


    * Bastien Nocera
    * Emily Chen
    * Germán Póo-Caamaño
    * Og Maciel
    * Paul Cutler
    * Rosanna Yuen
    * Brian Cameron
    * Og Maciel


    * Andreas Nilsson


Recurring Items

    * Review past action items.
    * Did each person with action items send their status reports to
      the board list before the meeting?
    * Approve and make sure that minutes of last meeting were published
      to foundation-announce and foundation-list.
    * Make sure to start up the gobby server for better note taking.
    * Update website.

New Items

    * Marketing Contract
          o Several candidates have applied.
          o The Board has approved to spend $10,000 USD and hire two
            people to assist with GNOME marketing (+6).

    * FAD in Ghana
          o The board agreed that we would like to budget sending 2
            people if possible (spending up to USD $5,000).
          o ACTION: Brian to follow up with Ben to find out if he is
            interesting in going, and to try to identify 2 people to

    * GNOME 3.0 Launch parties - Budget and update
          o There are now 130 registered parties. Originally planned
            for 100 parties.
                + 25 parties in India alone.
          o The board has agreed to spend USD $7,111 in support of the
            launch parties since more parties have registered than
            expected. The previous amount was USD $5,926.
          o Originally planned for 500 t-shirts. Now planning 600.
          o Planning to produce some things locally if there are a
            large number of parties in a region.

    * GNOME.Asia Summit 2011 update
          o Google is now a Platinum sponsor. Thank you to Google!

    * Servers
          o The board has approved the purchase of the hardware needed
                + Two new servers. One is similar to ComboBox to host
                  VMs to migrate GNOME services too, including Tomboy
                  Online and others. The second server (USD $2000+)
                  will host mission critical services, including LDAP,
                  git and account related services.
                + This replaces the "button" server which has crashed
                  multiple times in the last year.

    * Dave Neary's Advisory board request
          o ACTION: Paul to send email to the Advisory Board to request
            for help.

    * Trademark issues - can we update GNOME Mobile with a link to the
      GNOME Mobile product?
          o ACTION: Brian will mail Paul the link to the GNOME mobile
            product that we should add to the Mobile website, and
            follow up with the lawyers. To trademark GNOME Mobile, the
            GNOME logo needs to be more clearly associated with the
            GNOME Mobile product.
          o ACTION: Paul will update the GNOME Mobile website with the
            link and logo improvements.

    * The board voted to support the Banshee maintainers proposal for
      Amazon / Banshee integration with Canonical.

    * Rosanna highlighted that the taxes are due today. They are not
      ready, but an extension has been filed.

Completed Actions

    * Andreas - Will invite Dave Neary to give an update to the
      advisory board.
    * Andreas - Will find out if the Desktop Summit call for Sponsors
      will be ready to present at the advisory board meeting.
    * Brian - Will send out an email to marketing-list about a deadline
      for resume submission.
    * Brian - To follow up with Ben to find out if he is interesting in
      going, and to try to identify 2 people to go. This new action was
       done shortly after the meeting.
    * Brian - Will mail Paul the link to the GNOME mobile product that
      we should add to the Mobile website, and follow up with the
      lawyers. To trademark GNOME Mobile, the GNOME logo needs to be
      more clearly associated with the GNOME Mobile product. This new
      action was done shortly after the meeting.
    * Paul - Will follow up with the marketing-list to provide more
      details about what sort of work we would like to have done for
      the marketing contract.
    * Paul - Will send an email to announce the meeting agenda to the
      advisory board list by Friday.

Status of action items

    * Andreas - Will follow up with Andrew Savory from LiMo to see if
      relevant information from their GTK+ study can be made more
      public. (will ping again).
    * Andreas - To ask Kat if she can reach out to the
      gnome-de gnome org mailing list about finding local German
      volunteers to help with the Desktop Summit 2011. (will ping again)
    * Andreas - Will send out emails to get more contacts or
      suggestions for someone who may be interested in applying.
    * Bastien - Will try to find people who can consolidate the
      feedback about the Texas Instruments Zoom2 device to provide back
      to Texas Instruments.
    * Bastien - Will take over the internal review process task from
      Diego Urrelo (hopefully he can automate it).
    * Bastien - To find a way to automate the process of exporting
      results from internal review process and email it to the board.
    * Bastien - To discuss the use of badges (a-la Creative Commons, page colors, or PSN badges).
    * Bastien - To talk to Olav Vitters about using bugzilla to track
      Friends of GNOME post card sending.
    * Bastien - To get _a_ WebOS/Palm contact from Lennart Poettering.
    * Bastien - To contact the BBC to discuss about possible
      collaboration in working directly with GNOME.
    * Bastien - Will reach out to Dave Richards from the City of Largo
      to plan for a hackfest there.
    * Bastien - To e-mail Murray about contacting UPS one more time
      regarding the lost Event Box.
    * Bastien - To e-mail GIMP about changing their website, and
      procedure for donating.
    * Bastien - Will email Joanie about options about whether it makes
      sense for orca to consider being a FreeDesktop project.
    * Brian - Develop trademark usage forms for common use cases. James
      Vasile from legal is working with Brian on this.
    * Brian - Check records of organizations with existing contracts to
      use the GNOME trademark. Taken over from Vincent Untz. Look at
      the archives in 2005 and try to determine which companies can use
      the GNOME trademark. Know what kind of contracts we had with
      them. Taken over from Jorge.
    * Germán - To discuss with GNOME Hispano about them handling GNOME
      Foundation money in Euros (€).
    * Germán - To track if the new method of boletos generates more or
      less money from Brazil.
    * Germán - To have a draft Fiscal Year Budget in October for the
      board to review.
    * Germán - Will provide an updated budget for review that we'll
      plan to send to foundation-list for community review.
    * Germán - Will assist with the GNOME 3 as a Foundation goal task
      and to help in getting the GNOME 3 as a Foundation Goal survey
      topics together. (Handing over to someone else.)
    * Og - Update the blog and planet to highlight that people are
      expected to sign and follow the GNOME Code of Conduct.
          o As per Paul's recommendation, I have emailed Vincent to ask
            him what his idea is for doing this.
          o Still have not heard back from Vincent Untz.
          o Still on ToDo.
    * Og - Will work to update the GNOME websites to update pages that
      refer to Stormy as the Executive Director.
          o Still on ToDo.
    * Og - To look into Google Checkout as an annual payment option for
          o Still on ToDo.
    * Og - Will email the ED mailing list and ask for an update on how
      the hiring process is going, how many applications, etc.
    * Og - Will email the foundation-list mailing list with a reminder
      of January 12th IRC meeting time details.
    * Paul - Will send an email to the foundation-list and the gnucash
      list seeking someone to take over the GnuCash automation. Taken
      over from Behdad Esfahbod.
    * Paul - To start work on next 2011 Annual Report ASAP (due start
    * Paul - Will work with Gil Forcada from and gnome-
      marketing to define the best way for organizations like
      to participate in the GNOME community. Not many replies from the
      community. Diego Urrelo will draft something more concrete for
      gnome-marketing to determine the best name and process for
      managing this. There was a discussion on the mailing list and a
      few good ideas, Diego will wrap them up and send them again for
      further comments.
    * Paul - Will follow-up with Board to read the Advisory Board fees
      for small businesses proposal, ask for feedback and set a date to
      vote by.
    * Paul - To finish the Privacy Policy, get review from James
      Vasile, etc.
    * Paul - To review Justin's email about updating trademark
      agreements and email the marketing team for feedback.
    * Rosanna - Will apply for the GNOME credit card. Status: Filled
      out initial application, have appointment next Wednesday with the
      bank to continue process.
    * Rosanna - Will handle the purchase orders with Google for
      GIMP/GStreamer GSoC mentor payments as she has been doing it
      already for GNOME.
    * Rosanna - Automate the process of entering PayPal information
      into GnuCash.
    * Rosanna - Will take care of providing funds needed for production
      of goodies to be sent to registered parties.

New Action Items

    * Paul - To send email to the Advisory Board to request for help.
    * Paul - Will update the GNOME Mobile website with the link and
      logo improvements.

Discussed on the mailing list

    * Planning for the GNOME Advisory Board meeting on February 8th.
    * Planning for the GNOME Foundation IRC Meeting on February 9th.
    * Planning for Zeitgeist hackfest.
    * Discussions with the KDE board about the Desktop Summit.
    * Discussion about the budget for GNOME 3.0 parties.
    * Discussion about updating the GNOME Mobile website so it has a
      link to the GNOME mobile product.
    * The GNOME Foundation received applicants for the GNOME Marketing
      contract position. Currently under review.
    * Ben Konrath has been making plans for GNOME to participate in FAD
      Ghana, Africa.
    * Renewing domains such as

[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]