Re: Candidates question: Contributor agreement

    IMHO, BusyBox is a good counter-example.  They do not require copyright
    assignment, they have multiple copyright holders and they have
    successfully defended GPL on lawsuits.  BusyBox is used in embedded
    systems.

Eben Moglen said that there were some troubles in the enforcement
activities because of not having centralized the copyright.  I did not
ask him for the details, and since I'm not a BusyBox developer,
perhaps I'm not entitled to know.  However, he confirmed that getting
copyright assignments is still important to help GPL enforcement.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation