Meeting Minutes Published - October 28, 2010

The meeting minutes for the October 28th GNOME Foundation board
meeting is now published.  Refer here:


Other past board meetings are archived here:


-- text of the latest minutes follows --

Minutes for Meeting of October 28th, 2010

Next Meeting

    * November 6th, 2010


    * Andreas Nilsson (IRC only since he is attending the Ubuntu
      Developer Summit)
    * Bastien Nocera
    * Brian Cameron
    * Emily Chen
    * Germán Póo-Caamaño
    * Og Maciel
    * Paul Cutler
    * Stormy Peters
    * Rosanna Yuen



Recurring Items

    * Review past action items.
    * Did each person with action items send their status reports to
      the board list before the meeting?
    * Approve and make sure that minutes of last meeting were published
      to foundation-announce and foundation-list.
    * Make sure to start up the gobby server for better note taking.
    * Update website.

New Items

    * Unity and GNOME 3
          o Canonical announced that Unity will be the default
            Ubuntu 11.04 desktop.
          o Unity is based on compiz and not GNOME Shell or mutter.
          o This news is disappointing. It is also potentially
            distracting and disruptive to GNOME 3 plans and release.
          o Paul highlighted that Ubuntu has 70% of the Linux Desktop
            market share, so losing GNOME Shell on Ubuntu is a big loss.
          o Regardless, Canonical is still an important ongoing partner
            in the GNOME community.
          o While Unity is a concern, it is still more important to
            focus on making sure that GTK+ based GNOME is competitive
            with Qt than to fight over the best shell for GNOME.
          o ACTION: Andreas is at the Ubuntu Developer Summit and is
            talking to people about the situation with Unity and will
            write up a report to the board list.

    * GNOME Foundation IRC Meetings
          o The most recent October 27th Foundation IRC meeting was
            better run, organized, and attended than previous IRC
          o There were some flaws in the planning. Need to be better
            about planning future meetings. For example:
                + The time was not mentioned in the email reminder to
                + Date/time was not included in /topic of the
                  #foundation IRC channel.
          o The next IRC meeting is planned for Wednesday, November 3rd

    * Desktop Summit 2011
          o Dave Neary has been playing the lead role in Desktop Summit
          o Should Dave formally be the leader? How does this fit in
            with what Kat and Andreas have been doing?
          o Agreed to discuss on the mailing list.

    * When will we have a budget for the current fiscal year?
          o Germán said it will be ready in 1 week.
          o Emily and Germán agreed to meet over the next week to work
            together on this.

    * Nokia / MeeGo call for bids
          o No updates yet. Bastien has talked with stakeholders in the
            community to push this.
          o ACTION: Bastien to mail people he is talking to about the
            Nokia / MeeGo call for bids about 1) what it would cost to
            do the work 2) whether they are interested in the project

    * Status of Annual Report
          o Paul received a proof document last Tuesday.
          o Need to update some financial numbers.
          o Should have the final version done by next week.

    * Need to tell FreeWear we approved their marketing agreement.
          o ACTION: Brian to contact FreeWear about moving forward
            with their marketing agreement.

    * Stormy leaving The GNOME Foundation
          o Stormy announced to the board that she is leaving The GNOME
            Foundation CEO position. She announced this to the board on
            Wednesday, October 20th.
          o Stormy and the board agreed to make this information public
            on Tuesday, November 2nd. Just before the Boston Summit to
            give people time to have face-to-face interactions with
            Stormy to help with the transition.
          o Stormy is going to start a new job to work on the open web
            at the Mozilla Foundation.
          o The board wishes her well and the best of luck with her new
            position in the free software community!
          o Stormy is planning to run for The GNOME Foundation board of
            directors in the next term.

    * Reminder to the board: Complete Stormy's bonus feedback.

Completed Actions

    * Og - Organized the next GNOME Foundation IRC meeting and create
      an agenda.
    * Og - Was recommended the name of Mauro Parra as a speaker for the
      Open Source Software Conference 2010 in Mexico
          o Mauro's contact information has been sent to Stormy by
    * Og - Started a discussion on the mailing list about how The GNOME
      Foundation wants to organize event planning for events that carry
      the GNOME brand.
    * Og - Loja Geek/GNOME-BR agreement - This is now being reviewed by
      our lawyer and Brian
    * Paul - Emailed and pinged Owen three times re: Boston Summit
      plans (no response).
    * Paul - One on one with Christer to discuss Sysadmin projects and
      next steps
    * Stormy - To follow up with Orbitz to find out if the GNOME
      Foundation can pre-purchase travel tickets. Tried to contact them
      several times. Exchanged emails to set up a time - they did not
      respond to availability. Found Egencia which looks like it will
      work perfectly for us. In talks with them.
    * Stormy - Will follow up the GULEV Free & Open Source Software
      Conference 2010 organizers and provide them with a list of
      potential GNOME speakers in Mexico. Waiting on Og for the list.
    * Stormy - To follow up with Friends of GNOME post card senders to
      make sure they have sent them.
    * Stormy - Will confirm final cost of the Boston Summit. We will
      need to pay only for custodial costs.
    * Stormy - To add advisory board member roles to wiki.
    * Stormy - To add the information she got about opening nonprofits
      in other countries to the wiki.
    * Stormy - To update the hackfest wiki pages to make it clear that
      we need detailed information about expenses included with
      proposals if they are asking for GNOME Foundation sponsorship.

Status of action items

    * Andreas - Will finish the Friends of GNOME revamp and find
      someone with proper javascript skills to help.
    * Andreas - Follow up with Vincent Untz about creating a Philosophy
      page on the GNOME Wiki.
    * Andreas - Will follow up with Andrew Savory from LiMo to see if
      relevant information from their GTK+ study can be made more
    * Andreas - Will get feedback for the Annual Report for Daniel
    * Andreas - Will find out if the GTK+ and WebKitGTK+ Hackfests need
      help fund raising.
    * Andreas - To reach out to Ekaterina (Kat) Gerasimova to see if
      she wants to be the GNOME representative for the 2011 Desktop
      Summit and, if so, to invite her to the Desktop Summit meeting.
    * Andreas - To take the GUADEC feedback and post it to a public
      wiki page.
    * Andreas - To ask Kat if she can reach out to the
      gnome-de gnome org mailing list about finding local German
      volunteers to help with the Desktop Summit 2011.
    * Bastien - Will try to find people who can consolidate the
      feedback about the Texas Instruments Zoom2 device to provide back
      to Texas Instruments.
    * Bastien - Will take over the internal review process task from
      Diego Urrelo (hopefully he can automate it).
    * Bastien - To find a way to automate the process of exporting
      results from internal review process and email it to the board.
    * Bastien - To discuss the use of badges (a-la Creative Commons, page colors, or PSN badges).
    * Bastien - To talk to Olav Vitters about using bugzilla to track
      Friends of GNOME post card sending.
    * Bastien - To get _a_ WebOS/Palm contact from Lennart Poettering.
    * Bastien - To contact the BBC to discuss about possible
      collaboration in working directly with GNOME.
    * Bastien - Will create private Wiki page to sort ideas about how
      to better organize events like GUADEC.
    * Bastien - Will reach out to Dave Richards from the City of Largo
      to plan for a hackfest there.
    * Bastien - To write up a call for bids for Nokia proposal, and
      discuss the technology with people from Nokia.
    * Bastien - Emailing with Nokia and GTK+/XI2 maintainers to further
      detail out the proposal of how to spend the money provided by
      Nokia. Major issues include the bug discussed on d-d-l and touch
      framework. Bastien gathering more information currently.
    * Bastien - To talk to sysadmins about the GNOME IRC meeting,
      follow-up on Sept 16th.
    * Bastien - To update and flesh out what we expect from Nokia bids.
    * Bastien - Will send out a deadline date for the MeeGo call for
      Bids after getting some feedback from the community
    * Brian - Get information about what should be in an "Employee
      Handbook". Draft approved by board. Now under review by the GNOME
      legal team.
    * Brian - Develop trademark usage forms for common use cases. James
      Vasile from legal is working with Brian on this.
    * Brian - Check records of organizations with existing contracts to
      use the GNOME trademark. Taken over from Vincent Untz. Look at
      the archives in 2005 and try to determine which companies can use
      the GNOME trademark. Know what kind of contracts we had with
      them. Taken over from Jorge.
    * Diego - Will send an updated "Día GNOME" article for the Annual
    * Germán - Will share the financial data that was provided to the
      advisory board to foundation-list.
    * Germán - Will follow up with Shaun McCance about how the board
      can help with his proposal for funding developer documentation.
    * Germán - Will help Paul put together the Financial Report for the
      Annual Report.
    * Germán - To discuss with GNOME Hispano about them handling GNOME
      Foundation money in Euros (€).
    * Germán - To track if the new method of boletos generates more or
      less money from Brazil.
    * Germán - To have a draft Fiscal Year Budget in October for the
      board to review.
    * Og - Update the blog and planet to highlight that people are
      expected to sign and follow the GNOME Code of Conduct.
          o As per Paul's recommendation, I have emailed Vincent to ask
            him what his idea is for doing this.
          o Still haven't heard back from vuntz
    * Paul - Will send an email to the foundation-list and the gnucash
      list seeking someone to take over the GnuCash automation. Taken
      over from Behdad Esfahbod.
    * Paul - Will lead putting together the GNOME Annual Report.
    * Paul - Will work on 2010 Annual Report
          o Paul - To fix the annual report: remove all TM in the GNOME
            logos, s/GNOME Asia/GNOME.Asia/g, use right font for GNOME
          o Paul - To start work on next 2011 Annual Report ASAP (due
            start FY2012)
          o Paul - To work with Jonathan Blandford for the pants
            article in the annual report.
          o Paul - Will follow up with Germán about the financial data
            for the Annual Report.
    * Paul - Will work with Gil Forcada from and gnome-
      marketing to define the best way for organizations like
      to participate in the GNOME community. Not many replies from the
      community. Diego Urrelo will draft something more concrete for
      gnome-marketing to determine the best name and process for
      managing this. There was a discussion on the mailing list and a
      few good ideas, Diego will wrap them up and send them again for
      further comments.
    * Paul - To make sure Board members have access to the Foundation
      blog. (Update as of August - all members who do not have blogs on have access - working with the sysadmins to fix a
    * Paul - Will follow-up with Board to read the Advisory Board fees
      for small businesses proposal, ask for feedback and set a date to
      vote by.
    * Paul - To finish the Privacy Policy, get review from James
      Vasile, etc.
    * Paul - To follow up with Christer Edwards on using Bugzilla and
      CiviCRM to track Friends of GNOME Postcards. (Scheduled meeting
      with Christer on 10/14/10 to discuss Sysadmin projects)
    * Paul/Germán - Automate the process of entering PayPal information
      into GnuCash. Taken over from Behdad Esfahbod.
    * Rosanna - Research the GNOME Guidestar website and update if
      necessary. Rosanna sent an update about the status of Guidestar,
      but work is still needed. Need to find someone to keep the
      website up-to-date.
    * Rosanna - Will apply for the GNOME credit card. Status: Filled
      out initial application, have appointment next Wednesday with the
      bank to continue process.
    * Rosanna - Will handle the purchase orders with Google for
      GIMP/GStreamer GSoC mentor payments as she has been doing it
      already for GNOME.
    * Stormy - To schedule a meeting with companies that do consulting
      work with GNOME to start discussions on how we can help (how can
      we work together). Sent email. Got a couple of positive
      responses. (Handing over to someone else.)
    * Stormy - Taking over for Og. Will assist with the GNOME 3 as a
      Foundation goal task and to help in getting the GNOME 3 as a
      Foundation Goal survey topics together. (Handing over to someone
    * All Board Members - To review and finalize Stormy's year-end
      review feedback and bonus for 2010.
    * All board members - Will help to put together a draft agenda for
      the Boston Summit. This involves emailing those who will be
      participating and collecting information about what things will
      be worked on.
    * All board members - To put together a draft agenda for the
      Foundation IRC Meeting by Saturday, October 16th.

New Action Items

    * Andreas - Is at the Ubuntu Developer Summit and is talking to
      people about the situation with Unity and will write up a report
      to the board list.
    * Bastien - To mail people he is talking to about the Nokia / MeeGo
      call for bids about 1) what it would cost to do the work 2)
      whether they are interested in the project
    * Brian - To contact FreeWear about moving forward with their
      marketing agreement.

Discussed on the mailing list

    * Discussion about Stormy leaving her post as The GNOME Foundation
      CEO, and making transition plans.

    * Events
          o Collabora is going to sponsor an intern on the Outreach
            Program for Women for $4500.
          o The GNOME Foundation received two travel subsidy requests
            for The Boston Summit for a total of $3,140 (USD).
          o litl will be sponsoring refreshments at the Boston Summit.
          o Discussion about Egencia (, the
            corporate side of This might be a good service
            for the GNOME Travel Committee and could help with event
          o Finalizing the travel costs for the WebKitGTK+ hackfest.
          o Planning for a 2011 GNOME UX Hackfest, perhaps again at the
            Canonical offices in London.
          o The board agreed to send Dave Neary to the KLEA (Korea LiMo
            Ecosystem Association) conference on November 19th in
            Seoul, South Korea.
          o Working with Dave Neary to settle accounts for the training
            at this past GUADEC.
          o Ben Konrath introduced the board to Gaël Hernández
            Bourlon-Buon from IICD, "a non-profit foundation that
            specializes in information and communication technologies
            (ICT) as a tool for development". Gaël works with FOSS
            software groups in Uganda and in Zambia and would like to
            help introduce GNOME to these groups. Ben asked for
            stickers and GNOME media to share with Gaël. The board is
            working to provide Gaël with these things.
          o The board rejected the request for travel subsidy from
            William 'from Texas' Carlson to attend the openSUSE annual
            international conference (October 20-23 in Nuremberg,
            Germany) since he did not give enough time for the board to
            make a decision (he made the request only 7 days before the
            event). The board let him know that he needs to provide
            more lead time with future requests.

    * Meetings
          o Planning and creating an agenda for The GNOME Foundation
            IRC meeting on October 27th.
          o Planning for the next GNOME Foundation IRC meeting on
            November 3rd.

    * Finance
          o Germán provided the board an updated budget for the Fiscal
            Year 2009 (October 2009-September 2010).
          o Planning about making an arrangement with the ASL
            (Associação Software Livre) Brasil to accept donations via
    * Discussion about the Canonical Unity announcement and how this
      impacts GNOME.
    * The board is discussing whether to increase Rosanna's hours from
      20 to 30-35 hours per week.
    * Paul highlighted that the sysadmin team needs a new server in the
      next fiscal year. Discussion about how to make this happen.
    * Paul proposed running a GNOME Art Contest to create artwork for
      GNOME 3.
    * Google Code-In planning.
    * Discussing signing the GNOME User's Group form with the GNOME
      Hispano User's Group.
    * Germán highlighted that he made a small change to the Travel
      Policy to state that whenever we ask a contributor to represent
      The GNOME Foundation the meals will be covered only the number of
      days that representation is requested, and not for additional
    * Stormy proposed a form letter to be used to notify someone when
      they are not properly using the GNOME brand.

[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]