Meeting Minutes Published - October 28, 2010
- From: Brian Cameron <brian cameron oracle com>
- To: foundation-list <foundation-list gnome org>, foundation-announce gnome org
- Subject: Meeting Minutes Published - October 28, 2010
- Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2010 14:39:26 -0600
The meeting minutes for the October 28th GNOME Foundation board
meeting is now published. Refer here:
Other past board meetings are archived here:
-- text of the latest minutes follows --
Minutes for Meeting of October 28th, 2010
* November 6th, 2010
* Andreas Nilsson (IRC only since he is attending the Ubuntu
* Bastien Nocera
* Brian Cameron
* Emily Chen
* Germán Póo-Caamaño
* Og Maciel
* Paul Cutler
* Stormy Peters
* Rosanna Yuen
* Review past action items.
* Did each person with action items send their status reports to
the board list before the meeting?
* Approve and make sure that minutes of last meeting were published
to foundation-announce and foundation-list.
* Make sure to start up the gobby server for better note taking.
* Update foundation.gnome.org website.
* Unity and GNOME 3
o Canonical announced that Unity will be the default
Ubuntu 11.04 desktop.
o Unity is based on compiz and not GNOME Shell or mutter.
o This news is disappointing. It is also potentially
distracting and disruptive to GNOME 3 plans and release.
o Paul highlighted that Ubuntu has 70% of the Linux Desktop
market share, so losing GNOME Shell on Ubuntu is a big loss.
o Regardless, Canonical is still an important ongoing partner
in the GNOME community.
o While Unity is a concern, it is still more important to
focus on making sure that GTK+ based GNOME is competitive
with Qt than to fight over the best shell for GNOME.
o ACTION: Andreas is at the Ubuntu Developer Summit and is
talking to people about the situation with Unity and will
write up a report to the board list.
* GNOME Foundation IRC Meetings
o The most recent October 27th Foundation IRC meeting was
better run, organized, and attended than previous IRC
o There were some flaws in the planning. Need to be better
about planning future meetings. For example:
+ The time was not mentioned in the email reminder to
+ Date/time was not included in /topic of the
#foundation IRC channel.
o The next IRC meeting is planned for Wednesday, November 3rd
* Desktop Summit 2011
o Dave Neary has been playing the lead role in Desktop Summit
o Should Dave formally be the leader? How does this fit in
with what Kat and Andreas have been doing?
o Agreed to discuss on the mailing list.
* When will we have a budget for the current fiscal year?
o Germán said it will be ready in 1 week.
o Emily and Germán agreed to meet over the next week to work
together on this.
* Nokia / MeeGo call for bids
o No updates yet. Bastien has talked with stakeholders in the
community to push this.
o ACTION: Bastien to mail people he is talking to about the
Nokia / MeeGo call for bids about 1) what it would cost to
do the work 2) whether they are interested in the project
* Status of Annual Report
o Paul received a proof document last Tuesday.
o Need to update some financial numbers.
o Should have the final version done by next week.
* Need to tell FreeWear we approved their marketing agreement.
o ACTION: Brian to contact FreeWear about moving forward
with their marketing agreement.
* Stormy leaving The GNOME Foundation
o Stormy announced to the board that she is leaving The GNOME
Foundation CEO position. She announced this to the board on
Wednesday, October 20th.
o Stormy and the board agreed to make this information public
on Tuesday, November 2nd. Just before the Boston Summit to
give people time to have face-to-face interactions with
Stormy to help with the transition.
o Stormy is going to start a new job to work on the open web
at the Mozilla Foundation.
o The board wishes her well and the best of luck with her new
position in the free software community!
o Stormy is planning to run for The GNOME Foundation board of
directors in the next term.
* Reminder to the board: Complete Stormy's bonus feedback.
* Og - Organized the next GNOME Foundation IRC meeting and create
* Og - Was recommended the name of Mauro Parra as a speaker for the
Open Source Software Conference 2010 in Mexico
o Mauro's contact information has been sent to Stormy by
* Og - Started a discussion on the mailing list about how The GNOME
Foundation wants to organize event planning for events that carry
the GNOME brand.
* Og - Loja Geek/GNOME-BR agreement - This is now being reviewed by
our lawyer and Brian
* Paul - Emailed and pinged Owen three times re: Boston Summit
plans (no response).
* Paul - One on one with Christer to discuss Sysadmin projects and
* Stormy - To follow up with Orbitz to find out if the GNOME
Foundation can pre-purchase travel tickets. Tried to contact them
several times. Exchanged emails to set up a time - they did not
respond to availability. Found Egencia which looks like it will
work perfectly for us. In talks with them.
* Stormy - Will follow up the GULEV Free & Open Source Software
Conference 2010 organizers and provide them with a list of
potential GNOME speakers in Mexico. Waiting on Og for the list.
* Stormy - To follow up with Friends of GNOME post card senders to
make sure they have sent them.
* Stormy - Will confirm final cost of the Boston Summit. We will
need to pay only for custodial costs.
* Stormy - To add advisory board member roles to wiki.
* Stormy - To add the information she got about opening nonprofits
in other countries to the wiki.
* Stormy - To update the hackfest wiki pages to make it clear that
we need detailed information about expenses included with
proposals if they are asking for GNOME Foundation sponsorship.
Status of action items
* Andreas - Will finish the Friends of GNOME revamp and find
* Andreas - Follow up with Vincent Untz about creating a Philosophy
page on the GNOME Wiki.
* Andreas - Will follow up with Andrew Savory from LiMo to see if
relevant information from their GTK+ study can be made more
* Andreas - Will get feedback for the Annual Report for Daniel
* Andreas - Will find out if the GTK+ and WebKitGTK+ Hackfests need
help fund raising.
* Andreas - To reach out to Ekaterina (Kat) Gerasimova to see if
she wants to be the GNOME representative for the 2011 Desktop
Summit and, if so, to invite her to the Desktop Summit meeting.
* Andreas - To take the GUADEC feedback and post it to a public
* Andreas - To ask Kat if she can reach out to the
gnome-de gnome org mailing list about finding local German
volunteers to help with the Desktop Summit 2011.
* Bastien - Will try to find people who can consolidate the
feedback about the Texas Instruments Zoom2 device to provide back
to Texas Instruments.
* Bastien - Will take over the internal review process task from
Diego Urrelo (hopefully he can automate it).
* Bastien - To find a way to automate the process of exporting
results from internal review process and email it to the board.
* Bastien - To discuss the use of badges (a-la Creative Commons,
last.fm page colors, or PSN badges).
* Bastien - To talk to Olav Vitters about using bugzilla to track
Friends of GNOME post card sending.
* Bastien - To get _a_ WebOS/Palm contact from Lennart Poettering.
* Bastien - To contact the BBC to discuss about possible
collaboration in working directly with GNOME.
* Bastien - Will create private Wiki page to sort ideas about how
to better organize events like GUADEC.
* Bastien - Will reach out to Dave Richards from the City of Largo
to plan for a hackfest there.
* Bastien - To write up a call for bids for Nokia proposal, and
discuss the technology with people from Nokia.
* Bastien - Emailing with Nokia and GTK+/XI2 maintainers to further
detail out the proposal of how to spend the money provided by
Nokia. Major issues include the bug discussed on d-d-l and touch
framework. Bastien gathering more information currently.
* Bastien - To talk to sysadmins about the GNOME IRC meeting,
follow-up on Sept 16th.
* Bastien - To update and flesh out what we expect from Nokia bids.
* Bastien - Will send out a deadline date for the MeeGo call for
Bids after getting some feedback from the community
* Brian - Get information about what should be in an "Employee
Handbook". Draft approved by board. Now under review by the GNOME
* Brian - Develop trademark usage forms for common use cases. James
Vasile from legal is working with Brian on this.
* Brian - Check records of organizations with existing contracts to
use the GNOME trademark. Taken over from Vincent Untz. Look at
the archives in 2005 and try to determine which companies can use
the GNOME trademark. Know what kind of contracts we had with
them. Taken over from Jorge.
* Diego - Will send an updated "Día GNOME" article for the Annual
* Germán - Will share the financial data that was provided to the
advisory board to foundation-list.
* Germán - Will follow up with Shaun McCance about how the board
can help with his proposal for funding developer documentation.
* Germán - Will help Paul put together the Financial Report for the
* Germán - To discuss with GNOME Hispano about them handling GNOME
Foundation money in Euros (€).
* Germán - To track if the new method of boletos generates more or
less money from Brazil.
* Germán - To have a draft Fiscal Year Budget in October for the
board to review.
* Og - Update the blog and planet to highlight that people are
expected to sign and follow the GNOME Code of Conduct.
o As per Paul's recommendation, I have emailed Vincent to ask
him what his idea is for doing this.
o Still haven't heard back from vuntz
* Paul - Will send an email to the foundation-list and the gnucash
list seeking someone to take over the GnuCash automation. Taken
over from Behdad Esfahbod.
* Paul - Will lead putting together the GNOME Annual Report.
* Paul - Will work on 2010 Annual Report
o Paul - To fix the annual report: remove all TM in the GNOME
logos, s/GNOME Asia/GNOME.Asia/g, use right font for GNOME
o Paul - To start work on next 2011 Annual Report ASAP (due
o Paul - To work with Jonathan Blandford for the pants
article in the annual report.
o Paul - Will follow up with Germán about the financial data
for the Annual Report.
* Paul - Will work with Gil Forcada from guifi.net and gnome-
marketing to define the best way for organizations like guifi.net
to participate in the GNOME community. Not many replies from the
community. Diego Urrelo will draft something more concrete for
gnome-marketing to determine the best name and process for
managing this. There was a discussion on the mailing list and a
few good ideas, Diego will wrap them up and send them again for
* Paul - To make sure Board members have access to the Foundation
blog. (Update as of August - all members who do not have blogs on
blogs.gnome.org have access - working with the sysadmins to fix a
* Paul - Will follow-up with Board to read the Advisory Board fees
for small businesses proposal, ask for feedback and set a date to
* Paul - To follow up with Christer Edwards on using Bugzilla and
CiviCRM to track Friends of GNOME Postcards. (Scheduled meeting
with Christer on 10/14/10 to discuss Sysadmin projects)
* Paul/Germán - Automate the process of entering PayPal information
into GnuCash. Taken over from Behdad Esfahbod.
* Rosanna - Research the GNOME Guidestar website and update if
necessary. Rosanna sent an update about the status of Guidestar,
but work is still needed. Need to find someone to keep the
* Rosanna - Will apply for the GNOME credit card. Status: Filled
out initial application, have appointment next Wednesday with the
bank to continue process.
* Rosanna - Will handle the purchase orders with Google for
GIMP/GStreamer GSoC mentor payments as she has been doing it
already for GNOME.
* Stormy - To schedule a meeting with companies that do consulting
work with GNOME to start discussions on how we can help (how can
we work together). Sent email. Got a couple of positive
responses. (Handing over to someone else.)
* Stormy - Taking over for Og. Will assist with the GNOME 3 as a
Foundation goal task and to help in getting the GNOME 3 as a
Foundation Goal survey topics together. (Handing over to someone
* All Board Members - To review and finalize Stormy's year-end
review feedback and bonus for 2010.
* All board members - Will help to put together a draft agenda for
the Boston Summit. This involves emailing those who will be
participating and collecting information about what things will
be worked on.
* All board members - To put together a draft agenda for the
Foundation IRC Meeting by Saturday, October 16th.
New Action Items
* Andreas - Is at the Ubuntu Developer Summit and is talking to
people about the situation with Unity and will write up a report
to the board list.
* Bastien - To mail people he is talking to about the Nokia / MeeGo
call for bids about 1) what it would cost to do the work 2)
whether they are interested in the project
* Brian - To contact FreeWear about moving forward with their
Discussed on the mailing list
* Discussion about Stormy leaving her post as The GNOME Foundation
CEO, and making transition plans.
o Collabora is going to sponsor an intern on the Outreach
Program for Women for $4500.
o The GNOME Foundation received two travel subsidy requests
for The Boston Summit for a total of $3,140 (USD).
o litl will be sponsoring refreshments at the Boston Summit.
o Discussion about Egencia (http://www.egencia.com/), the
corporate side of Expedia.com. This might be a good service
for the GNOME Travel Committee and could help with event
o Finalizing the travel costs for the WebKitGTK+ hackfest.
o Planning for a 2011 GNOME UX Hackfest, perhaps again at the
Canonical offices in London.
o The board agreed to send Dave Neary to the KLEA (Korea LiMo
Ecosystem Association) conference on November 19th in
Seoul, South Korea.
o Working with Dave Neary to settle accounts for the training
at this past GUADEC.
o Ben Konrath introduced the board to Gaël Hernández
Bourlon-Buon from IICD, "a non-profit foundation that
specializes in information and communication technologies
(ICT) as a tool for development". Gaël works with FOSS
software groups in Uganda and in Zambia and would like to
help introduce GNOME to these groups. Ben asked for
stickers and GNOME media to share with Gaël. The board is
working to provide Gaël with these things.
o The board rejected the request for travel subsidy from
William 'from Texas' Carlson to attend the openSUSE annual
international conference (October 20-23 in Nuremberg,
Germany) since he did not give enough time for the board to
make a decision (he made the request only 7 days before the
event). The board let him know that he needs to provide
more lead time with future requests.
o Planning and creating an agenda for The GNOME Foundation
IRC meeting on October 27th.
o Planning for the next GNOME Foundation IRC meeting on
o Germán provided the board an updated budget for the Fiscal
Year 2009 (October 2009-September 2010).
o Planning about making an arrangement with the ASL
(Associação Software Livre) Brasil to accept donations via
* Discussion about the Canonical Unity announcement and how this
* The board is discussing whether to increase Rosanna's hours from
20 to 30-35 hours per week.
* Paul highlighted that the sysadmin team needs a new server in the
next fiscal year. Discussion about how to make this happen.
* Paul proposed running a GNOME Art Contest to create artwork for
* Google Code-In planning.
* Discussing signing the GNOME User's Group form with the GNOME
Hispano User's Group.
* Germán highlighted that he made a small change to the Travel
Policy to state that whenever we ask a contributor to represent
The GNOME Foundation the meals will be covered only the number of
days that representation is requested, and not for additional
* Stormy proposed a form letter to be used to notify someone when
they are not properly using the GNOME brand.
] [Thread Prev