GNOME SWOT Analysis

Hi !

On the public IRC Board of Directors meeting [1] was disscused the topic
"Strategic roadmap for GNOME: long term goals". One of the actions
agreed was to write a SWOT analysis for generating ideas for strategy
and I was charged of this.

Here you are the document [2]. I've tried to get together all the
concerns about the GNOME project I've found everywhere.

This kind of documment is a high level one, not technical. I think a
good starting point for defining the strategy lines. So now we can start
to discuss the actions we can affort to improve the situation. There are
a few on going efforts on areas where SWOT analysis points to. Please,
relink existing efforts into the action plan with its status, roadmaps,
etc.

I'm going to send a message like this to the desktop-devel-list and the
marketing-list as well, so if you want to discuss a something more
specific about development or marketing go to these lists instead.

Of course, it is impossible to improve everything at once, so there will
be areas where we can focus on the near future and other ones will be
left for later.

After that, we will write a document about the strategic lines we are
working. I think it is a s good idea to find a person to be in charge of
the evolution of every strategic line. There are some open issues about
the management of the strategic lines that I hope we can discuss now (if
we need to define a strategy-making body, when we have to evaluate again
the situation, how to sync the strategic lines with our releases, etc).

Best regards,

   -- Juanjo Marin

[1]
http://live.gnome.org/FoundationBoard/Minutes/IRC20100227