Re: Reboot: Strategic goals for GNOME

Regarding Facebook's connections with the CIA, see
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/jan/14/facebook.

The Guardian is a major UK newspaper.

Maybe I am not too bright, but I failed to see the "close ties" that
you quoted in your original message on February 26th.

It has a lot of innuendo and no smoking gun, the article claims that
the suspicious activity goes like this:

* The new round of funding for Facebook came from Greylock

* One of Greylock's  partners, Howard Cox (out of 24) is on the board of
  Q-Tel a VC firm from the CIA.

That is the whole connection.

The Greylock partners on the board of facebook are David Sze and Reid Hoffman,
none of which is Howard Cox.

Here is a list of names that Greylock has invested in that I can recognize:
* Red Hat
* RedFin (real estate)
* Cloudera
* Cuil
* Digg
* OpenDNS
* Linked-In
* Zend PHP
* ZipCar
* Pandora

If you are going to do some guilt by association, it seems that all of the
above have as much "close ties" to the CIA as Facebook does.

You could make outrageous claims about the CIA injecting backdoors
in code distributed by any of the above.   And can you really trust
a compiler that has gone through a dark room?   I know that with
the proper level of paranoia I cant:

http://cm.bell-labs.com/who/ken/trust.html

Miguel.