Re: Oracle takeover and GNOME accessibility

On Sun, 2010-02-07 at 18:14 +0100, Fernando Herrera wrote:
> As you all probably know, Oracle recently bought Sun. Sun has been one
> of the largest contributors to the GNOME project during the last
> years.
>
> Probably is too early to know how this is going to affect GNOME
> project. However this last week we have seen some relevant events:
> Oracle laid off two members of the Sun's Accessibility Program Office.
>
> If you have been following GNOME a11y development, probably you can
> agree with me that:
>
> - SUN APO contributions have been critical for GNOME success
> - SUN a11y developers have not only done a great and impressive work,
> but also have been deeply involved with the community.
> - Accessibility is a critical component for GNOME 3.0
> - The accesibility framework changes for GNOME 3.0 are huge (new
> at-spi, dbus migration, etc...) and should be properly tested for a
> successful relase.
> - Although in the last years we have seen new companies joining the
> a11y development effort (like for example igalia), the number of
> people woking in a11y is critically low.
>
> So, I would like to ask the board to take this issue very seriously
> and try to contact SUN/Oracle representatives in the advisory board
> regarding this issue.

Hello Fernando,

Certainly, this is a very serious issue.  I am aware Stormy have been
contacting Sun/Oracle to get a clear picture about the future of them
with GNOME, which includes this issue.

> Some references:
>
> * An Open Letter to Oracle on the Topic Of Accessibility by Joanmarie Diggs:
>    http://blog.grain-of-salt.com/index.php?itemid=394
>
> * Some threads at orca's mailing list:
>    http://mail.gnome.org/archives/orca-list/2010-February/msg00055.html
>    http://mail.gnome.org/archives/orca-list/2010-February/msg00092.html
>    http://mail.gnome.org/archives/orca-list/2010-February/msg00078.html
>    http://mail.gnome.org/archives/orca-list/2010-February/msg00112.html

I could not find any relation with the topic with respect to the last
link.  But I got the idea.

--
Germán Póo-Caamaño
Concepción - Chile