Re: How about creating addons.gnome.org

On 08/08/2010 02:55 PM, Jose Aliste wrote:
Hi All,

I sent this to the gnome-web-list but there was instructed to send it
here, so it can be more widely discussed (and maybe also in the next
gnome foundation meeting)

The idea is simple (but long and complex to implement). I would love
to have a site addons.gnome.org, so we can have nice database with
plugins and other addons for desktop apps. The idea would be to
"borrow" ideas from the addons site of mozilla and it should support
different types of add-ons (for instance, for gedit, we have plugins,
language files, style-themes to name a few).

So what do you think about this?

This is an idea the gedit team had for some time but never realized due to lack of time resources.

The nice thing here is that with the recent trend toward using a single library for several apps the interaction code only needs to be written and debugged once...

Anyway I'm a bit frightened by the potential stability issues implied by such a "blessed" open plugin repository.