GLIB-2.22 and GLIB-2.20

Dear Mr/Mrs,

I am writing to you because I downloaded the version of GTK+2.18 package in order to install a software that need it.

Following the GTK installation instructions I downloaded also GLIB-2.22 but I had already installed in my computer GLIB-2.20 version.

As many forum users I found the problem that ./configure of GTK did not recognize the latest version but the older one. In the log message of GTK installation it was recommended uninstall the older GLIB version in order to consider the latest one. I searched several linux forums and in everyone recommended the same.

Because of that, I uninstalled libglib2.0 that was the older version, despite the Synaptic's message about that this action would uninstall several programs, like mozilla, etc. I thought it was the only thing that would happen but, every X window has dissapeared from my computer!

I have added /usr/local/bin to my ~/.cshrc (that is where I compile GLIB-2.22) trying to get access to glib library, but it does not solve the problem.

I would like to know if you could help me because I do not know how to resolve the problem without reinstalling Ubuntu again. I would appreciate any help you could offer me.

Yours faithfully,

             Beatriz Gaite