Re: So what do people *except* me want from the foundation?

Now that I have had time to gather my thoughts - I would really like the Foundation to bring back the import of what it means to be part of something bigger than oneself.  GNOME needs to be a brand that is bigger than the sum of its parts, a place where people come not to further their own agendas but to grow GNOME itself.

That starts with a sense of belonging. How do we make people excited to join the Foundation?  It continues with positive reinforcement.  How do we make people feel their contributions continue to be appreciated?  It never ends.

I think the current atmosphere where there is a lot of bike shedding comes from a sense that outside forces view GNOME as a tool to be used and shaped to their own agenda as opposed to being an integral part of who they are.  We have at some point stopped being friends who came together for a common cause and at that point it just became easier to form islands of development.  Respect has gone out the door.

This is why I think the most important focus for the foundation going forward is a) the "marketing" team and b) social events like the hackfests.  Marketing because we really need to figure out how to get our messages across, even to our own members.  Generating excitement from things as simple as regular profiles of GNOME apps and their developers is important to a sense of community.  Social events because when people meet face to face they tend to start treating each other with more humanity, not the mention the boost in development efficiency that results when people get along.

I have other hopes for the Foundation but those are my main insights.  Take them or leave them.

--
John