Redesigning documents to make them easy to read

Hi all,

I have mentioned to a few people recently a presentation I saw about
some guys who have been doing work on how to make licencing agreements
more readable by learning some of the lessons of the magazine industry -
it fits in nicely with a core theme that's been going through my
thinking for the past few months that nothing we're doing is new, and we
should be trying to learn from any domains which have tackled the
social, organisational or technological issues we've been dealing with.

Here's the presentation about ingimp, given during the Libre Graphics
Meeting last year in Montreal - the EULA stuff starts around 17 minutes
(the rest of the presentation has some nice ideas, based on instrumented
use of the GIMP):
http://river-valley.tv/ingimp-a-smorgasbord-of-usability-adaptive-uis-and-visually-arresting-graphic-design-for-2009/

A slightly longer version of the same talk, given at Google:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mebqm-sTPXo

Cheers,
Dave.

--