Re: GTK and Adobe Flash

2008/5/20 Hubert Figuiere <hub figuiere net>:
> Worse. Whatever is the state of the Free Software implementation, using
> Flash is bad for Free Software, because Flash is not an open standard,
> is a poorly documented format, and leverage non-royalty free
> technologies like MP3, Sorenson Sparks, ON2 VP6, partial support of
> MPEG4, etc.
>
> So whatever version of Flash it is, it is not good for Free Software, on
> an advocating point of view.

For what it's worth (not much in this context I guess), the Open
Screen Project seems like a step in the right direction:

  http://www.adobe.com/openscreenproject/faq/

Not an open standard, but at least you now have permission to read the
specs and implement a player with the knowledge. Given that Flash is a
technology that won't vanish overnight even if all open source
developers would hope for it really hard tonight before going to bed,
any help on implementing an open source solution to access that
content is probably a good thing, even if the formats aren't.

--
Kalle Vahlman, zuh iki fi