Re: Windows-only software in government

On 2/28/08, Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak <mjc avtechpulse com> wrote:
>  One of the issues forcing me to keep a few MS Windows computer around in
>  my company are government services relying on Windows-only software,
>  like this example:
>
>  http://www.statcan.ca/english/exports/download.htm
>
>  My company is required to report all exports to non-US destinations
>  using the Windows-only program - or paper forms. Bleh.

Sadly, the European Union is no better. I've added one example to the
wiki -- The European Union's Seventh Framework Programme for research
and technological development (FP7)[1] requires that grant agreement
preparation forms be edited using a Windows only application[2]. So if
you want a research grant from the European Union, you're forced to be
using Windows...

[1] http://cordis.europa.eu/en/home.html
[2] http://cordis.europa.eu/fp7/ict/participating/grantagreement-prep_en.html

Christian