Re: Windows-only software in government

On Thu, 2008-02-28 at 09:22 -0500, Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak wrote:
> One of the issues forcing me to keep a few MS Windows computer around in
> my company are government services relying on Windows-only software,
> like this example:
>
> http://www.statcan.ca/english/exports/download.htm
>
> My company is required to report all exports to non-US destinations
> using the Windows-only program - or paper forms. Bleh.

I have had some involvement both at Ontario and at Federal levels
in suggesting that the Canadian government move towards open,
standard formats and Free software.  It is a difficult struggle.

At the Ontario Government showcase of Technology when I spoke,
they insisted on PowerPoint slides.  I refused.  In the talk,
I asked how many people thought that government proceedings, and
presentatoins like these, should be archived for 10 years or more,
and most people raised a hand.  A majority did for 40 years.  Then
I asked how many people thought they would be able to read PowerPoint
files in 20 years (after some examples o 20-year-old software like
Wordstar, Magic Wand, etc) and there were I think zero hands.  So
there's understanding there (and there was a Minister in the audience,
nodding away, there's understanding to some extent especially at
the higher levels).

Some arguments that go down well are
* the need to archive
* the need for accessibility
* the need to repurpose information (e.g. print, Web, search...)
* the need to control costs
* the need to have control over core technology, to use trusted software
* the need to encourage and support the Canadian IT industry

Liam