ghop

My thanks to whoever arranged for gnome's participation in ghop! It was great as a coding exercise, and great as a PR/outreach exercise.

I found it extremely valuable for roping in contributions to gthumb, to implement features that were beyond my areas of expertise (e.g., calling exiv2's C++ API from gThumb's C code) or just weren't high enough on my list of personal priorities (scripting improvements). The motivation of reward and the imposition of 1 week deadlines kept things moving nicely, too.

And I know that the students gained useful real-world experience that will help them mature as programmers - yes, compiler warnings are bad - yes, console warnings are bad - yes, you really do need g_free - yes, you should test your patch before submitting :-)

Many of these students will come back as valuable gnome users and contributors.

I would like to see this program continue! Is there any chance of keeping it going more frequently than annually? Could gnome do something like it in-house if google doesn't?

I think there is a virtually endless supply of ~ 1 week tasks that would benefit from this program. (Porting things from gnome-vfs to gvfs / gio / gfile is the most obvious, and high priority, area for me. I cringe when I see all the gnome_vfs calls in gthumb... It's not going to happen any time soon if I have to do it all.)

- Mike