Re: Windows-only software in government

El Thu, 28 Feb 2008 09:22:34 -0500
"Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak" <mjc avtechpulse com> escribió:
> Hi all,
>
> If you have some experiences / wisdom to share, I would appreciate it
> you you added it to the wiki.

Actually this not only happens at US, in our case in Chile we have lots
issues like this everyday. Mainly it's because goverment uses lots of
propietary formats, and some of them are not yet compatible with linux
apps, i.e. visual basic macros in excel, autocad 2008 files and web
apps developed for IE. On the other hand the lack of free/open
alternatives prevent us to migrate those desktops to GNOME, for
sample a good data queries tool and pivot tables in OO.org. In our
company we have 75 linux desktop and 73 win32 desktops, our directors
are very happy about using GNOME as our desktop and developer platform,
unfortunately it seems that our enviroment won't let us to go beyond,
unless we can fullfill users needs.

cheers.

--
Fernando San Martín Woerner
Jefe de Informática

--
Este mensaje ha sido analizado por nuestros servidores
y se considera que est�impio.