Re: time to (re)consider preferential voting?

On 24/02/2008, Telsa Gwynne <telsa telsa org uk> wrote:
> Ar Sat, Feb 23, 2008 at 09:10:23PM -0700, ysgrifennodd Elijah Newren:
>
> > At the risk of sounding like a bad person...
>
> [...]
>
> > Trying to counteract this factor, I've often voted for such people
>  > that I thought would be great and would be unknown in the wider
>  > community, and omitted voting for people I liked that I knew would
>  > make it on the board anyway (often making sure to select fewer people
>  > than the maximum I was allowed).  I was hoping it would even out the
>  > number of votes a little bit, and make those who didn't get elected
>  > feel more encouraged to try again.
>

> What can be bad about this? I do this too.

There is nothing bad about the people doing this: the voting system
effectively encourages it.

I would instead say that it is a problem with the voting system: that
people end up casting a ballot that doesn't accurately reflect who
they want on the board.

James.