Re: Call for hackfest ideas

On Tue, 2008-04-15 at 10:49 -0400, Luis Villa wrote:

> >  One of the things the Board wants to see happen this year is hackfests,
> >  and the fact that the GTK+ one was a success is a good sign that we
> >  should do this :-) But to make this happen, we need help from the
> >  community to come up with ideas of hackfests and we also need help from
> >  volunteers to lead this effort.
> >
> >  So if you can think of a topic that would be suitable for a hackfest,
> >  please talk about it with a few people and share your idea.
>
> I'm curious- I see some fairly low-level suggestions here (gio
> porting, pixbuf loaders) but it was my impression that part of what
> made the gtk hackfest so successful is that it was at least partially
> about decision making rather than coding- the face-to-face presence
> made vision-sharing/direction-setting very easy, which led to
> important decisions being made, and great hacking as well. Was this
> the impression of the folks at the gtk hackfest as well?

was about to reply, but as usual Luis said it best.

a hackfest is a high bandwidth channel to communicate and discuss with a
low chance of being side-tracked; it's not (just) a place for banging
out code: it's a place for defining strategies.

'port the applications to gio' and 'fix the pixbuf loaders
implementation' might be good topics for the summer of code or for a
GNOME goal, but they are not good topics for a hackfest; 'decide what's
missing in gio to port all the applications' and 'how do we fix the
pixbuf loaders' are - at least, after the experience of the gtk+
hackfest.

ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--