Re: Git vs SVN (was: Can we improve things?)

On Mon, Sep 10, 2007 at 03:05:18PM -0500, Federico Mena Quintero wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-09-08 at 10:17 +0200, Olav Vitters wrote:
>
> Hi, Olav,
>
> > You are ignoring the central place. You need somewhere all GNOME devs
> > are able to commit. This is what is so wrong about
> > www.gnome.org/~foo/git/.
>
> The interesting question is, "why are people doing ~foo/git/blah in the
> first place?"

Oh, only reading this email after the one from HP.

> Because it is no longer possible to create new SVN modules easily, as it
> was when we used CVS.  By "easily" I mean that it you want to create a
> module, you don't need to ask anyone to do it for you.

So ehr, we should have svn.gnome.org/svn/testingground ?
(or whatever?)

> Think of a gnome.org developer who has just written a new and exciting
> program, and wants to make it available.  You are in that beautiful
> moment when the program works well enough that you want to show it
> around, and you are pumped up!  The only thing that goes through your
> mind is publish, publish, publish!
>
> So you start writing an exciting blog post full of nice screenshots and
> plans, and you write "you can get MyProg at svn.gnome.org/svn/..."
>
> Oh, shit.  Giant brick wall.  You cannot create the module by yourself.
> You google for "gnome creating new svn modules" and you get pointed to
> http://developer.gnome.org/tools/svn.html - which leads you to
> http://developer.gnome.org/doc/tutorials/import.html if you want to
> import your code, but THAT WON'T WORK because it still talks about "cvs
> import".

Feel free to fix it and point to NewSVNRepos.

> Okay... so you know that the developer's site is pretty bad and
> outdated, so you go to check the wiki.  Go to live.gnome.org and type
> "svn" in the search box.  Great, the first search hit is
> http://live.gnome.org/NewSVNRepos - which tells you "mail an admin with
> this list of requirements".  Download page?  Project homepage?  Come on,
> this is my first "it barely works" release - I don't have all that set
> up yet!

Ehr? Doesn't it tell you that *if you have a GNOME SVN account*, we only
care about *your GNOME SVN account and your requested module name*?

if it doesn't, just mention this (it is a wiki:). Above is a generic New
SVN repos page, meant for people who want to host their existing SVN
repos on GNOME.

> So you are stuck.  Ask an admin to create a new module?  That will take
> days.  Your energy and happiness go to hell.
>
> It is very sad that even if you already have an SVN account, you cannot
> create a module by yourself.
>
> Back when we used CVS, anyone with an account could do "cvs import",
> just as described in the developer's site.  People botched it up and
> imported generated files, etc., but that could be easily fixed.

Only because it was one repos (IIRC).
Suggestions are welcome btw. This without handing people (root) shell
accounts on socket.

> People are using ~foo/git/bar because *it works* without having to ask
> someone else to import your code for you.

If you have shell for another reason. IIRC (no clue really) you could
just as well setup SVN repos on there.. although I don't know for sure
if that Apache stuff is optional or not.
--
Regards,
Olav