Re: Suggestion for coming elections

After more thinking...

On 10/16/07, Dave Neary <dneary free fr> wrote:
> Picking 11 from 12 is a farce.

Picking N from N+1 or anything closer to N than to 2N is going to be a
farce or a light decision no matter what election procedure you
design.

I agree with Vincent: the current system already allows to vote 6 or
less candidates, no need to change a tool that we know it works.

I'm not even sure we want to promote people to vote just for 3
candidates instead of a broader number i.e. 6-7. In the way we are
organized it doesn't matter how many votes you got once you are in the
board: every board member counts as one. I don't see where does it
help to have bigger differences in votes received between elected
board members.

About the specific case of not reaching 7 people, the situation is of
total crisis: elected board members should choose people for the
remaining seats either from candidates with 0 votes or GNOME
contributors that didn't even run for election.

So in fact I would recommend otherwise: picking 3 candidates is
generally easy for everybody, but make the effort to find 7 names
from, the candidates because at the end this is the number of people
that will run the Foundation board. In fact the dubious votes pointing
to newcomers or not so popular contributors can make a bigger change
than the sure bets to the well know rock stars that get elected ijn
the first 3 choices.

What needs improvement is the fact of getting at least 14 candidates,
so there is really variety to choose from.

--
Quim Gil /// http://flors.wordpress.com