Re: The problem on the foundation front page

On Tue, 2007-11-13 at 22:02 +0000, Sergey Udaltsov wrote:
> Hello people,
>
> I just looked at the foundation front page
> http://foundation.gnome.org/ and found somewhat strange sentense:
>
> > GNOME is part of the GNU Project, and is Free Software  (sometimes referred to as Open Source software).
>
> Don't you think that for a project wich is the part of the GNU project
> mixing Free Software and Open Source as synonyms is unforgivable
> mistake?

I think that sentence is very accurate.  And it doesn't state them as
synonyms, no.  It's the same as "GNU/Linux (commonly referred to as
Linux)" you find on http://www.gnome.org/about/.  The first term is the
preferred/correct one while the one in brackets helps connecting a
phrase familiar to many people.  I personally don't have any problem
with either one.

> Sorry for being pedantic - but I think we should be rather careful
> about these things.

This would be much more effective when raised on the proper mailing
list.  gnome-web-list in this case, which I'm CC'ing.  Please remove
foundation-list in replies.

While at that, gnome-web people, can we replace the "Linux or UNIX" on
the front page with the correct term please?  Given previous discussion,
I'll go ahead and do that this weekend if no one objects.

--
behdad
http://behdad.org/

        -- Benjamin Franklin, 1759