Re: OOXML [was Re: GNOME Foundation Board Meeting Minutes :: 7/6/07]

On Fri, Nov 02, 2007 at 11:58:23PM -0400, Richard Stallman wrote:
> You said:
>
>     >     OOXML is going to be the defacto standard whether we like it or not.
>
> "The" defacto standard implies there is only one, and the sentence
> says it is not ODF.

That is a very good point Richard.  I agree completely, and would
like to expand on it.

a) MOOX is certain to be _A_ defacto standard.  The MS Office
   market share determines that.

b) It may become _A_ standard depending on the results from ISO.

c) It can never become _THE_ standard.
   In order to be considered by ISO MS is being forced to argue that
   MOOX and ODF standardise different things.  They are publicly and
   loudly explaining that MOOX is the MS Office file format.

I am strongly opposed to MOOX becoming _THE_ standard.
The days of MS as the only game in town are over.