Re: OOXML [was Re: GNOME Foundation Board Meeting Minutes :: 7/6/07]

On Wed, Oct 31, 2007 at 01:33:25PM -0700, Andy Tai wrote:
> you don't join ECMA TC45 to prevent OOXML from becoming a standard.

- I fail to see how we have the power to materially manipulate the ISO process.
- It is already an ECMA standard.
- More importantly it is already a de-facto standard by virtue of
  MS's dominant market position.

Our choices here seem fairly simple
1) Interact with a documented spec with holes
2) Interact with a documented spec with fewer holes

Can ODF one day be the all singing all dancing holy grail of
interoperability ?  One day maybe, but that is not today, or even
this decade.  Given it's development tragectory it has about as much
chance of bringing world peace.