Re: Regarding OOXML and Microsoft patents

On Sat, 2007-07-14 at 17:50 -0400, Miguel de Icaza wrote:

> If a long standard is part of an attack, we can use that for our own
> purposes.

In this case I suspect that the length of the standard is largely a
consequence of the format being an XML serialization of the existing
complex and wart-filled proprietary binary formats.  I haven't read
the specs to see how detailed and precise they are, though.  Neither
am I saying I think it's a good idea for anyone (except Microsoft) for
people to use XML in this way, as little more than a memory dump of
a proprietary format.

Of course, the length doesn't make the spec easy to implement -- did
Microsoft include any sort of test suite, and any clear conformance
statements?

Liam

Travel pictures: http://www.holoweb.net/~liam/pictures/