Re: GNOME and the free software movement

On Sat, 2006-11-25 at 01:58 -0500, Richard Stallman wrote:
> In general, a free program that runs in a completely free system is a
> contribution to freedom; but GNOME is special: it was launched
> specifically to defend our freedom.  We stated GNOME to blunt the
> danger of the (then) non-free QT library.  I think most GNOME users
> and developers today are not aware of this.

While I'm completely aware of these details, I don't think one should
need to use that as an argument anymore.  GNOME could have been started
just because someone didn't like KDE and still have the same goals and
targets that it has today.

> I would like to ask the candidates for the board to state their views
> on how GNOME can work with the broader free software movement
> for the advance of computer users' freedom.

I believe in the values of this freedom myself, but never use it as an
argument when I want to switch someone to GNU/Linux.  Particularly not
when dealing with people who have got a Windows XP installed on their
laptop when they bought it and don't pay for any software either because
they get it from their department or they just copy it illegally.  What
I do use as an argument, is the lean and clean environment of a
GNU/Linux desktop compared to an XP one.  In particular, lack of
viruses, spywares, and all that crap, and default availability of any
software they need for their day to day work.  Now /that/ works pretty
good.

I'm all for making GNOME work with free software movements to advance
the freedom of its target audience, particularly in the DRM and software
patent issues.  I'm just not convinced that we have to expose it in the
face of the user in every single place.  They simply don't care.  We,
the developers, do (for them!).

--
behdad
http://behdad.org/