Re: Concerns about the election process

On Sun, 2006-11-26 at 20:18 -0600, Gabriel Burt wrote:
> On 11/26/06, Behdad Esfahbod <behdad behdad org> wrote:
> > What he's saying is that, suppose you voted for me, Quim, Federico,
> > Dave, Bastien, Luis, and Jeff, and were given the anonymous token
> > 0bhnyOzwLJ05jYV2phjusfe0jBYO3HZf.  How do you make sure that no one else
> > who voted for the same seven candidates received the same anonymous
> > token?
>
> I misunderstood.  This could be solved by printing the token and the
> date/time that the vote was received, couldn't it?  Is this
> information being logged so it could be used in this election?
> Another way could be to publish a list of people who voted, and people
> can check they are listed there, and compare the number of voters to
> the number of votes listed.

No.  It's not easy really.  Just because the number of voters matches
the number of anon tokens listed, doesn't mean that unique tokens were
handed out to voters.  The results can be perturbed by handing out the
same token to more than one voter, and insert phony tokens with
arbitrary votes attached to them.

There's nothing we should rush for this year.  The point is /not/ that
the election committee cannot be trusted.  The point is, if we want to
have a system in which the voters do not have to trust the election
committee, then our current system does not qualify, and for the least,
it should not be advertised like it does.

--
behdad
http://behdad.org/

        -- Benjamin Franklin, 1759