Re: Board Member Application Mini-HOWTO

On Fri, 2006-11-10 at 15:10 -0800, Ted Gould wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-11-10 at 13:29 -0600, Federico Mena Quintero wrote:
> > * The Foundation will not reimburse you for the conference calls.  The
> >   calls are invariable hosted in the USA, so you may have to do
> >   long-distance calls every two weeks.  We haven't done any work to
> >   make the calls through VOIP or anything.
>
> csoft.net, who I use for hosting and is very open source friendly has
> started offering VOIP conferencing as a service.  If someone from the
> board would talk with them, I think they might be willing to help.

Someone (jdub?) and I once tried Ekiga.net's conference calling (with
Ekiga of course). I can't remember the specific outcome, but I recall
jitter being an issue (which it wasn't for direct calls). This is
unsurprising for traffic going from Australia to the US (?) and back to
Australia. That said, it might be worth reevaluating.

--d

--
Davyd Madeley

http://www.davyd.id.au/
08B0 341A 0B9B 08BB 2118  C060 2EDD BB4F 5191 6CDA