Re: Code Of Conduct

On Tue, May 30, 2006 at 04:47:40PM +0200, Murray Cumming wrote:

> Apparently, yes: This is one plausible explanation for our disastrous (1%)
> female involvement and low asian involvement. That 1% is so scary that I
> can't see how we can make it worse, so I'm for all kinds of crazy
> experiments to fix it.

Not to dispute that affirmative action is a good thing, but
perhaps we're on the wrong level here.

A quick browse of intake statistics for the University of Western
Australia says that of 47 BCompSc freshers last year, only 2 were
women. For BEng (all majors) the female intake was only 10%.

Also of interest, a (female) colleague asked where we're getting our
1% contribution statistic from. It sounds believable, but is it
people with CVS accounts, or does it include translators who send
translations to their i18n team leader. Did someone just look
through a list of names and guess the genders? Similarly for
"asianness" (sic). Are we just using the domain names on their
email addresses?

Perhaps we should be looking towards going forces with other groups
for a "women in open source drive" or even a "women in IT" drive. I
know that Pia Waugh has really gotten behind this in Australia.

--d

--
Davyd Madeley

http://www.davyd.id.au/
08B0 341A 0B9B 08BB 2118  C060 2EDD BB4F 5191 6CDA