Minutes of the Board meeting for 2006/01/18
- From: Federico Mena Quintero <federico ximian com>
- To: foundation-list gnome org
- Subject: Minutes of the Board meeting for 2006/01/18
- Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2006 19:40:14 -0600
Sorry for the late minutes. That's what happens when we lose Daniel ;)
GNOME Foundation Board Meeting, 2006/01/18
- Agreed to stay with the same meeting schedule (bi-weekly,
Wednesdays, 14:00 Mexico City time)
- Nominations for secretary, treasurer, chairman:
Treasurer - JRB
Chairman - Federico, Dave - Federico to chair this year unless Dave
wants to challenge during GUADEC through mud-wrestling.
This call was about making the new Board members know what happened
during the past year. We exchanged observations about what did/didn't
work, and reviewed pending actions.
Highlights of the year
- GUADEC, GNOME Summit.
Involvement on the Board for GUADEC is not central; it was mainly
the volunteers and Tim.
Summit: a small event; Board not very involved in organization
(mainly Tim). The Foundation paid USD 5000 for the venue and food,
so it was pretty cheap. There were about 100 participants.
- [ACTION]: JRB volunteers to contact MIT for this year's Summit.
- GNOME Store:
Dave has been organizing it. In contact with several possible
vendors, chose one which did a good job for GUADEC, had legal
problems due to non-USA location. Contract didn't get signed, got
us back to square one. Intends to get more vendor candidates in
Finished submitting everything to the USPTO, we are on a waiting
period before they'll finalize everything. Responsible contact: the
Foundation's lawyer. JRB is in contact with lawyer.
Got the User Group Trademark Agreement finalized. Got a Member Logo
for business cards finalized.
- Efforts to promote GNOME as an ISV platform:
Federico on it. Hired Shaun McCance to write an "Overview of the
GNOME Platform" document; ongoing. JRB suggests asking for funding
to be directed to specific ISV-friendly projects (documentation,
- Anne thinks we should stretch out to the parts of the world we
haven't emphasized. Luis mentions talk of GUADLAC in Latin
America. We got a proposal for a Southeast Asia conference, and
We have FOSDEM presence.
- Quim is leading.
- We should probably have Quim on every other board call or so, to
keep up with GUADEC organization.
- Dave: we have a location (Vilanova i la Geltr�ain, very close to
Barcelona), dates (week of 2006/06/24). 24-25 is Spanish days,
26-28 is GUADEC proper, 29-30 is hackfest. Confirmed keynote
speakers: Kathy Sierra (Creating Passionate Users), Jim Gettys (One
Laptop Per Child).
- Christian: says venue is pretty nice, next to the beach.
- Need to start making reservations, etc.
- Web side of things: need update from the sysadmin team. Need to
re-setup the registration infrastructure.
What worked, what didn't
+ Bi-weekly conference calls worked well.
+ Wiki worked well.
- People sometimes assumed that someone would take care of something,
but nobody replied and so nobody did. Example: the gnome.de
+ This board got a lot more done than other years, due to internal
process of waiting for opposition rather than waiting for
confirmation of permission.
+ More presence in local events than before.
- Dropped the ball on Google Summer of Code. Mistake: thinking of
them as bounties rather than mentorship opportunities.
+ Owen was a good chairman; he kept good track of things.
+ Thanks to Daniel for being our secretary.
+ Thanks to the Foundation members who voted!
- We have public Board page in the wiki now; Murray wants to have the
agenda there before every meeting so that people can monitor us.
- Dave contacted Sriram Ramkrishna about presence on Innotech
[Date Prev][Date Next
] [Thread Prev][Thread Next