Re: Code of conduct (bis)

<quote who="Telsa Gwynne">

> Would it be possible to find out who felt which way? I can't see it in the
> minutes, and this is very much a deciding issue for me when it comes to
> voting for the new board.

I'm happy with the Code of Conduct, and think it's a useful tool to bring to
the community (I watched the success of Ubuntu's CoC up close and personal),
but didn't feel that there was a clear enough positive consensus within the
community that the Board could adopt it "from above".

Murray quipped:

  "It’s a little silly that we must do this individually just to establish
  what we think is self-evident, but let’s just get it done. I’m hoping for
  an overwhelming response."

I don't think the discussion about the CoC showed that "we" thought of it as
self-evident, so I don't think it was silly for the Board to be a little bit
more conservative about adoption than Murray would have liked.

The only way to build something like the CoC into our community *after* the
horse has bolted (GNOME was established a very long time ago) is to present
clear, unequivocal buy-in from a substantial portion of the participants.

The CoC signature page ends up being an extremely good method of doing that
community building effort, so I prefer to think of it as the natural next
step towards GNOME (perhaps via the GNOME Foundation) adopting the CoC.

- Jeff

             It's not just a song! It's a document of my life!