Re: GNOME trademark guidelines and user group agreement

On 9/9/05, Behdad Esfahbod <behdad cs toronto edu> wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Sep 2005, David Neary wrote:
>
> > Let's say that it was a mistake, or that distributing the foot under the
> > GPL is incompatible with defending it as a trademark - what remedy do
> > you think we should consider?
>
> Seems like that's what redhat does these days: releasing their
> product which is Free Software, but you cannot redistribute due
> to trademarks.  Don't flame me for what I just said, it's here:
>
>   http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2005/06/30/esr_interview.html

You can redistribute the source code for Red Hat's RHEL offerings
and/or binaries you compile from it, IF you remove Red Hat's
trademarks first (which yes, means it isn't RHEL any more, but it's
close enough for many); see http://www.centos.org/ and others.