Re: Beginning of the 2005 GNOME Foundation elections

On 11/11/05, Quim Gil <qgil interactors coop> wrote:

> > Being a candidate
> > -----------------
> >
> > If you are a member of the GNOME Foundation and are interested in
> > running for election, you may
>
> (...)
>
> > before November 14th 2005 (23:59 UTC).
>
> This is my first election period in the GNOME Foundation, so I'm
> surprised by the lack of candidates few days before the deadline.  :)
>
> Is it always like this?

Yes, it's precisely why I voted yes on reducing the number of
directors.  I felt the other side had a lot of strong arguments for
voting no, but I don't think it makes any sense given that only a few
people care much about being on the board anyway as this obviously
demonstrates.  I thought things might change this time because of the
huge discussion (in particular, Jeff's emails) and so I was a little
hesitant to vote the way I did, but now I'm feeling very satisfied
that I voted correctly.

BTW, speaking as just an individual, I STRONGLY encourage everyone to
give special consideration to voting FOR those who nominated
themselves early.  I personally feel that these people are those who
really want to be on the board and make it better.  According to my
quick rescanning of the archives (someone please correct me if I'm
wrong), this list includes:
  Quim Gil
  Dave Neary
I'll be voting for both and will likely include any that send in their
candidacy *soon*.  I may still vote for those that nominate at the
last minute, but I will count it as a mark against them.  I personally
encourage others to do likewise.

Just my $0.02,
Elijah