Re: Software Patents: The Lowest Common Denominator

On Sat, 2005-07-16 at 21:57 +0100, Alan Horkan wrote:
> In an effort to let developers do what they do best and get on with
> developing software [2] so I would like to propose a standard build flag
> which could be used to fence off code that could be effected by software
> patents.

While Freetype has a very specific domain, GNOME doesn't.
Software involves the combination of thousand of ideas into a single
program, yet GNOME is a lot of programs glued together.

With such a method one adds a terrible clutter and burden, and in the
limit you may have inconsistent GNOME versions, if at all workable.

It would have been much better to actively oppose software patents, a
much more effective political action, the likes of which I would have
liked to see better GNOME support.

Rui

+ So let's do it...?