Re: GNOME Foundation Budget

On อ., 2005-08-09 at 09:17 +1200, Glynn Foster wrote:

> > While we're on the subject, is there likely to be financial report
> > anytime soon? Only asking as I uploaded a recent statement, and it would
> > be good to get a mail from the Foundation to accompany it and explaining
> > some of the details involved. Tim?
>
> Ping? Are are we just going to be treated to the figures in
>
> http://foundation.gnome.org/finance/gnome-foundation-fiscal-year-04-and-03.pdf
>
> and expect to know what they all mean?

Do we have some set of goals for our future financial accountability?
It's obvious that many members aren't happy with the level of detail in
the report(s) as given (me included).

Would it be out of the question to post/publish a full
transaction-by-transaction account somewhere, such as the basic 'chart
of accounts' accompanied by the full 'transactions' information? I
figure an open (non-profit, member-oriented) organisation should aim to
be as transparent as possible, and this would make the accounts as
transparent as you could get?

This is just a quick 'off the top of my head' idea. Obviously, it would
involve having these kinds information in some kind of open (XML-based?)
accounting format (defined somewhere already? probably, I don't know)
that any member could download and import into their
(standards-compliant) accounting/reporting program (exists yet? I
haven't found one!) and run whatever reports/analysis they want.

--
Ross