Re: [guadec-list] Re: Barcelona report
- From: Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo gnome-db org>
- To: Owen Taylor <otaylor redhat com>
- Cc: David Neary <dneary free fr>, Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller <uraeus linuxrising org>, guadec-list <guadec-list gnome org>, Glynn Foster <glynn foster sun com>, Jeff Waugh <jdub perkypants org>, Foundation-List <foundation-list gnome org>, Murray Cumming <murrayc murrayc com>
- Subject: Re: [guadec-list] Re: Barcelona report
- Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 17:52:30 +0200
On Tue, 2005-08-02 at 11:29 -0400, Owen Taylor wrote:
> > > Also as far as I know there wasn't any non-userday tracks that where
> > > consistently lacking participants, rather the opposite.
> > Yes, they were very successful. We had an awesome line-up of talks! However,
> > the view David is putting forward is not based on whether that model can be
> > successful, it's whether we want to pursue that model at all... Is GUADEC
> > meant to be a bunch of talks, or is it meant to be a whole lotta discussion
> > and hacking?
> GUADEC is our only general-audience conference ... while I'm sure that
> we could have an awesome event where the GNOME hackers get together and
> talk and hack for a few days or longer, I don't think GUADEC is *just*
> about this. (The Boston GNOME summit, by contrast, is designed as purely
> a hacker get-together)
> Hacking sessions and detailed planning sessions aren't that interesting
> to a general audience ... even an intensely technical general audience.
> I think we should expect that with the strong GNOME user community in
> Spain we'll get even more people who are coming in, not interested
> in say, whether we should ship gnome-sm-proxy in the next release,
> but in getting a high-level picture of new and upcoming features
> and technologies. In learning about where to start developing with
> GNOME. In learning how to use GNOME in advanced ways.
both things can be parallel, with one room or two for general audience
talks, and smaller rooms for planning sessions. I think both are
compatible, and make both kind of people attending (general, hackers)
take good advantage of GUADEC.
Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo gnome-db org>
] [Thread Prev