Re: Anonymous Voting Referendum

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004, Mike Newman wrote:

> Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 21:18:19 +0100
> From: Mike Newman <mike greatnorthern demon co uk>
> To: foundation-list gnome org
> Subject: Re: Anonymous Voting Referendum
>
> <snipped lots of fascinating stuff on voting>
>
> I almost dread this issue coming up because, by nature mathematically
> minded computing types are often amateur psephologists!
>
> Whilst I could quite happily read and enjoy (if not always entirely
> understand) the various views and solutions on this thread for as long
> as it rolls, there are a couple of practical points:
>
> 1) Is there a problem with the current voting system (hopefully soon to
> be anonymous) which affects it's veracity, reliability or usefulness?

Yes see the posts saying why they believed Anonymous voting is necessary.

> and if the answer to 1) is 'yes':
>
> 2) What is the simplest, most effective method which can be implemented
> without landing a great deal of work for little reward by the already
> stretched Membership Committee?

Anonymous voting has already been proposed as a relatively simple measure
that will improve the voting system.

I'm not suggesting changes be made immediately, only when there is
sufficient time and resources to make a change (like with any open source
project).

What I am saying is that the current system discourages people from fully
using their vote and that a system of preferential voting would help
compensate for that.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan

http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/