Re: sub-committees [was Re: Board Minutes 29 September 2004]

On Mon, 2004-10-04 at 20:41 +0100, Andrew Sobala wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-10-04 at 15:21 -0400, Owen Taylor wrote:
> > > 	What worries me about (1) is that perhaps its makes it more
> > > difficult/daunting for new blood to get involved in these important
> > > matters. Maybe it gives the illusion that things are being handled when
> > > in fact the people involved are already overstretched and would love to
> > > see new people involved.
> > >
> > > 	i.e. instead Marketing, Fundraising and Developer Development
> > > committees, surely we want to leave the void in which a new leader can
> > > "explode, fully-formed out of freak lightning strikes and nuclear
> > > waste"[1]. How can we expect someone to scratch an itch if we keep
> > > putting slapping on band-aids?
> >
> > But how often does this happen for anything but code? Even if somebody
> > steps up, expresses interest, does a bunch of work, I think we tend
> > frequently to basically ignore it until the person loses interest.
> >

> I don't think that this is true for the bugsquad, and probably the same
> goes for the other "teams" (docs, i18n, a11y, etc.)

Sorry, "code" wasn't a good term here. I'd all of the above along with
code as parts of GNOME where we are very good at harnessing volunteer
participation.

In areas like marketing, tradeshows, and so forth, we get a lot of
people that are excited at helping out, and do a great job, especially
in many of the local organizations. But I don't think we've ever done a
good job at having sustained coordination at a GNOME-wide level.

Regards,
						Owen