The ten questions and my answers: Anne Oestergaard

1. Judging from the comments posted here (gnomdesktop.org comments
area), it seems as though most people are confused about the purpose of
the GNOME Foundation and its board. How will you, as a member of the
board, try to clear up confusion and outline a clear direction and
purpose for the Foundation?

Ad 1.
Highlight and support the areas where great work is already being
done:
Technical development and maintenance. Marketing, fundraising,
conferences and special events in new regions and countries. Getting the
software out in the schools and into the homes.
Comment on new legislation proposed by governments and EU. Developers
have the background knowledge to do so without being political to the
extremes- using good argumentation.

2. What do you see as the most important thing that the board
accomplishes, and what do you think is the area of the board' s activity
where you could improve things?

Ad 2.
The board has had success holding the activities on the track but the
work needs to be stabilized.
I think we should work more in smaller project groups with board - and
non- board members working together in ad hoc working groups.

3. What is the number one priority for the GNOME project now, in your
opinion? What do you think you can do as a board member to work towards
that goal?

Ad3.
Keep up the quality and explain to new comers how much they can learn
from participating and how much every one can learn regardless of
professional background by investing time and energy. One can always
find role models even in an almost all male society :)

Open up GNOME for non-strictly IT nerds.- "Inspire and include" would be
a good motto.

4. What do you think is the most important market for GNOME over the
next year or two, and what do you feel you can do to help get GNOME
better penetrated into that market?

Ad 4.
India, South America, Spain, Eastern Europe, .... the rest of the globe
Business, schools, government, health sector etc.
Put it on the agenda whenever possible- nationally and internationally.

5. What unique aspect will you bring to the job?

Ad 5.
I see things from other angels. I am a non-technical female from a small
European country in the North. With my legal and international
background i have a good overall knowledge of the legislative processes
in the European Union and in European member states.

6. How would you feel about moving to a system of Preferential Voting?

Ad 6.
I have not formed an opinion on this. I will listen to the arguments and
make my decision founded in my neutral and legal background.

7. How do you think you could motivate the rest of the board, if and
when the other directors have other time pressures?

Ad 7.
By moving gradually and trying to find compromises that everyone can
agree goes in the right direction. I have solid experience both positive
and negative from the work in LUG's etc. and as a mother I am a skilled
domestic peace negotiator and manager.

8. What one problem could you hope to solve this year?

Ad 8.
Getting the financial situation under control would facilitate other
important tasks and give room for new initiatives.

9. What would you do to increase community participation in the GNOME
community and GNOME elections?

Ad 9.
Help spot new candidates and talents of any sort and tell that being a
Foundation  and community member is both an honor and great fun. You
get new friends, inspiration and learn a lot.

10. Should Gnome be marketed as a separate component ? Or should it be
actively promoted as a part of the offerings in a commercial software
stack ?
(Separate component in the sense *a DE in its own way and with its own
ecosystem*)

Ad 10.
My gut feelings tells me:
Separate component to keep the integrity and the freedom and stay free
of direct commercial interests.

In case I did not understand the last question right I will come back on
it - when someone has made the question crystal clear to everyone.

Kind regards

Anne

--
Anne Østergaard - aoe at gnome dot org