Re: GUADEC registration fee

On Thu, 2004-05-06 at 14:07, Danilo Segan wrote:

> I believe you misunderstood the "discussion line" here.  It's not
> about whether we're willing to support GUADEC, it's about whether
> we're able to afford the fee at all.  "Low" from one point of view is
> not very low from another.

GNOME Foundation can do little to alter price and income differentials
around the globe. The GUADEC planning committee this year has, however,
made arrangements for free on-campus housing to those who want to bring
their own sleeping bag to Kristiansand.

> Granted, this fee seems reasonable considering travel and
> accomodation costs, but that doesn't mean it's /a priori/ reasonable
> in absolute sense, simply because travel and accomodation costs are
> *unreasonable* in case of Norway (what will probably be the main
> reason for many missing the GVADEC, including me).

I encourage you and anyone else in the GNOME community for whom
the cost of getting to Norway is an obstacle, to register and
fill out the subsidy request section.  Travel subsidies are subject, of
course, to the amount of sponsorship and registration money available.

> Also, I would extend Mikael's (I believe it was him, sorry if I made a
> mistake here) invitation to hold next GUADEC in more accessible place
> (price-wise) than Norway.

The Call for Proposals for GUADEC 2005 will be posted shortly.  So, you
could encourage a local university or user group to submit a proposal
to host next year's GUADEC.

As you can imagine, once GUADEC scaled from 100 to 400 participants, it
became more difficult and expensive to host and organize. Nevertheless,
it is an exciting event to have in your home region.

Regards,

tim