Re: GUADEC registration fee

James makes some excellent points and I agree with
them.

I am disturbed by this entire discussion line,
however.  What are we saying here?  That you like and
want the conference, but aren't willing to support the
organization and running of it?  That you aren't
willing to pay the cost of three beers to support
GUADEC?

Monies raised through sponsorships and registration
fees serve to:

1)Bring GNOME contributors to the conference who could
not otherwise attend.
2)Bring valuable speakers and contributors to the
conference so we can get a broader perspective on the
work we're doing - we've had some amazing speakers in
the past and this year will be even better.
3)Pay for the hard costs, like facilities, networking,
materials, etc.
4)Hopefully give us a little reserve to do it all over
again.

We are offering liberal concession for contributors
who cannot afford even the lowest registration fee.
There's even a special section in the registration
form to request subsidies for travel, registration,
etc.

Leslie