Re: GNOME Development Release 2.5.3: "That and a pair of testicles."

On Mon, Feb 09, 2004 at 10:30:26AM -0500 or thereabouts, Daniel Veillard wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 03, 2004 at 06:34:18PM +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > GNOME Development Release 2.5.3: "That and a pair of testicles."
>
>   For the record, I'm not part of the board anymore, but I STRONGLY
> OBJECTS using GNOME release name based on genitalia. I am not personally

What he said.

> shocked directly but I find totally unacceptable to use wording which
> *IS* shocking for a lot of cultures, religions, or individuals as such.
>   Even for a development release the goal is to get as much use, review
> and feedback for said release and not to piss of potential users using
> gross, offensive or inappropriate machismo. I fail to see how such a
> release name could do anything but harm seriously marketing efforts
> or get considered seriously by the industrial partners we absolutely need.

Given the reluctance of distros to ship pan for a while and
the trouble "Temujin" and friends landed us in, I have to
agree.

I can just imagine trying to explain to a variety of friends
and family "It's really cool stuff, no, honest" after they have
seen the release name on the net.

Quite apart from the "It's called what? So you're saying it's
a pile of...?" comments it will inevitably engender.

Telsa