Re: Bounties, etc.

Nat,

Apologises for any earlier offense. To be honest, I got a bit surprised
by the announcement, and I thought of this (after Srini's initial post)
as a GNOME Foundation thing that wasn't cleared with the community, as I
really expected it to be. As Jeff stated earlier, it's purely a Novell
thing, and your call entirely.

fre, 06.08.2004 kl. 18.36 -0400, skrev Nat Friedman:
> Alright.
>
> I did make an effort to ensure that this bounty program worked well for
> everyone.  A number of maintainers reviewed the site before it went up
> last October.  I obviously missed Mark and the Planner guys; sorry about
> that.  However, the site has been up since October and I've never once
> gotten a mail from a maintainer asking that anything be changed.  But
> perhaps the onus is on me to get that right.  My apologies to all the
> maintainers who were offended, and especially to Mark who had to deal
> with multiple patches for a single bounty.

I'll trust your word for that.

> Another bit of angst is around the "Firefox preference" in the bounties.
> Let me point out that this just shows up in two places: supporting
> 'aim:' links in the browser, and autofilling web forms.  Not that big a
> deal, and the web form autofilling is sort of lame anyway.  But yes, the
> bounties do favor Firefox over Epiphany.

I do believe it's not wrong to ask why?

> There's obviously a lot of consternation about the way this bounty this
> has been prosecuted, so we're going to make some changes.
>
> First, I'm going to move the bounty web site off of gnome.org.  It won't
> be associated with GNOME.  Some of you seem to think that's a good
> thing; I think it's a shame that GNOME doesn't want to be associated
> with some pretty interesting work.

It is interesting and exciting work, for sure. If the original
announcement had been clearer, and the bounty pages had been redone to
reflect the situation as is, it would have been no problem (at least not
for me). It's all cleared up now on my part, as long as the integrity of
the bounties are maintained to reflect the current situation.

I do hope, though, that if it gets moved to Novell's sites, that GNOME
will be refered to as the Desktop that's being worked on. I'd hate to
lose the association with GNOME just because we're being too quick on
ranting around.

> I think the changes we're making will address everyone's concerns.
> Please give us a few days to do this.

A good idea is often to stop for a little while, listen around, and make
decisions upon that. I trust that you already have done or is doing
this. There's no need for a big debate on the matter, I just hope the
community will have their say.

> When you try new things, it doesn't always go perfectly.  I hope that we
> can be a community that's tolerant of people who want to try new things,
> and not a group of people who get hotheaded over well-intentioned
> forward progress that's not fully formed.

Again, apologies for going against this. I have no problem with this at
all, and I see it as a good innovation. I hope there's some room for
mistake and hotheadedness on my side as well, and that both you as a
representative for your company and the community can communicate
appropriately.

Thanks for your statements and making things clear.

> Nat

Best wishes,
Christoffer